County Senior Hurling Championship

Moyne Templetuohy 1-21

Burgess                        3-15

Moyne Templetuohy fought back to secure a late draw in the first round of the County Senior Hurling Championship played out in a wet and cold Toomevara field on Saturday evening last.

Moyne Templetuohy began the first half in the worst possible manner as the Burgess inside forward line were  on target putting their team 1-03 to 0-01 in front after 7 minutes of play, with the goal coming from a surging run through the defence. However Moyne  Templetuohy fought back with scores from Jason Bergin (2), Diarmuid Fogarty and Tomás Hassett to put just a goal between the sides with a little under 13 minutes left in the half. John Coghlan worked hard in the half forward line breaking down puck-outs but our ability to win the breaking left a lot to be desired. Moyne Templetuohy were now well in the game with scores from Diarmuid Fogarty and Tomás Hassett keeping us in touch. A mix up in the Moyne Templetuohy defence however let the Burgess full forward, Brian Hogan straight through on goal and he finished neatly to the top corner, pushing the Burgess lead to 6 points as half time quickly approached. Moyne Templetuohy’s work rate however could not be faulted as the likes of Jamie Morrissey, Tomás Hamill and John Coghlan worked hard to keep them in the game.

The second half began much better than the first when a poor puck-out by the Burgess goalkeeper Niall McGrath allowed Diarmuid Fogarty to capitalise and bury the ball in the back of the net. However a soft penalty was awarded to Burgess as Robert Larkin was adjudged to of fouled Stephen Murray much to the annoyance and disbelief of the Moyne Templetuohy support. The penalty was carefully dispatched but this seemed to spur on the Moyne Templetuohy players and the next few scores coming from the stick of Jason Bergin, Tomás Hamill and Martin Kelly to draw us level with 10 minutes remaining. The last few minutes of the game were frantic with both sides trading scores, but it seemed that Burgess were to take points as they went 2 points up with 3 minutes left to play. This did not deter the Moyne Templetuohy spirit as two late frees were duly converted from the calm and composed stick of Jason Bergin to earn Moyne Templetuohy a well deserved draw.

A lot of positives can be taken from the game with the likes of Tomás Hamill, Tomás Hassett and John Coghlan all standing up and showing real leadership when the game got tight. Jamie Morrissey and Diarmuid Leahy who are both still minors proved a real asset with their quick pace. This leaves us in a good position heading into our second game against Holycross in two weeks  time.

Moyne Templetuohy: Paul Maher, Diarmuid Leahy, Robert Larkin, Louis Everard, Pierce Meade, Liam Butler, Niall Russell, Tomás Hamill (0-01 free), Tomás Hassett (0-05), John Coghlan, Jack Fogarty  (0-01), Tom Meade, Diarmuid Fogarty (1-02), Jason Bergin (0-10 frees), Jamie Morrissey. Subs used: Martin Kelly (0-02) for Jack Fogarty, Eoin Ryan for Jamie Morrissey.

Referee: John Cleary

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.