Match Reports

County U12B Football Final 22/05/17

Moyne Templetuohy     2-03

Ballylooby Castlegrace 3-09

By Mark Dunne PRO

A strong first half display was enough to see Ballylooby Castlegrace crowned County U12B Football Champions. However the Moyne Templetuohy players can be extremely proud of their efforts, not many players in the parish can say the played in a County Final, I most certainly cannot.

Aided by whatever breeze was present Ballylooby Castlegrace launched the first attack. Midfielder Chris O’Donnell who later proved to be quite handful soloed through the Moyne Templetuohy defence only to be halted by the hard working Liam Ryan assisted by Danny Moore. The first counter attack saw Diarmuid Campion go straight through on goal only to shoot narrowly wide. The resultant kick out saw Jake Bowe set up Diarmuid Campion who again shot for a point only for the umpire to controversially wave it wide. Diarmuid however was presented with a second chance moment later and made no mistake assuring the umpire of the validity of the score. The aforementioned Chris O’Donnell was then fouled with Ballylooby getting their first score of the encounter. David Doyle, Aaron McLoughlin and Helen Cleere worked hard around the middle of the park to move the ball forwards but the size and strength of the Ballylooby Castlegrace players caused difficulty and as a result they got the next two scores to leave the score board reading after six minutes Moyne Templetuohy 0-01 Ballylooby Castlegrace 0-03. Moyne Templetuohy were made to work hard for their scores but Bill Brolan was causing them issues. A short free that could have been pointed went astray but Cathal Guilfoyle then skilfully passed the ball across the field to the waiting arms of Campion who pointed to narrow the gap to one with nine minutes left in the half. Similar to his performance in the semi-final goalkeeper Cormac Kiely made a terrific save to deny Ballylooby Castlegrace a certain goal. Moyne Templetuohy from the save moved the ball quickly goal ward and Bill Brolan for the second time this evening was hauled to the ground. The resultant free saw Diarmuid Campion narrowly shoot wide, a score that would have drawn the teams level. Ballylooby Castlegrace got the next two scores in a dominant spell. Joint Captains Helen Cleere and Ava Ryan though worked tirelessly all evening and Helen Cleere redeemed herself following an early miss to bring two points between the teams with the half almost upon us. Ballylooby managed another score to send the teams in at the break three points adrift, 0-06 to 0-03. The game still very much in the melting pot.

Ballylooby Castlegrace once again started the strongest. Attack after attack the Moyne Templetuohy defence held strong with Liam Ryan, substitute Mark Fox, and Helen Cleere clearing the ball on numerous occasions. In the eight minute the game was blown wide open, a long ball from the Moyne Templetuohy defence made its way to Bill Brolan who as cool as you like netted to draw the teams level. Moyne Templetuohy now had their tails up; a terrific ball in over the top of the Ballylooby Castlegrace defence by Diarmuid Campion nearly found its way to the arms of Bill Brolan only for it to go just out of reach. Substitute Martin Cleere was making life difficult for the Ballylooby defence but in a break against the run of play Ballylooby netted to extend their lead to three points once again. Moyne responded well in the next attack and were rewarded with a free, which once again went short. Ballylooby now were in control and netted once again in the 35th minute to put six between the teams. However Moyne Templetuohy never gave up Martin Cleere, Cathal Guilfoyle and Diarmuid Campion trying their hardest to score and in the 37th minute were rewarded when once again Bill Brolan netted to reduce the gap to four, 2-07 to 2-03 with about 3 minutes to play. However this was as close as they were to come, Ballylooby tagged on two more points and a goal to leave the final score reading Moyne Templetuohy 3-09 Ballylooby Castlegrace 2-03.

Disappointment was evident on the player’s faces; however they have nothing to be disappointed about. Similar to the semi final, this was a team effort, where everyone from number one to number fifteen contributed to the game. Cormac Kiely made some terrific saves that would not be seen in Croke Park. A strong defence led by Liam Ryan and Helen Cleere assisted a well abled attack led by Diarmuid Campion and Bill Brolan that were just not able to overcome the more physical and bigger Ballylooby Castlegrace side. Huge thanks to their mentors Martin Ryan, Tom Guilfoyle, PJ Sweeney, Pakie Bowe and Rosie Cleere who gave up their time to train this fantastic team. County honours are not far away for this team and hopefully this form continues into the hurling championship which begins shortly.

Team: Cormac Kiely, Danny Moore, Liam Ryan, Aaron McLoughlin, David Doyle, Helen Cleere, Jake Bowe, Cathal Guilfoyle, Ava Ryan, Bill Brolan, Diarmuid Campion. Subs used: Mark Fox for Aaron McLoughlin (HT), Martin Cleere for Ava Ryan (HT).


County U12B Football Semi Final 16/05/17

Moyne Templetuohy     5-03

Moneygall                          2-04

By Mark Dunne PRO

A sunny Templetuohy was the setting when Moyne Templetuohy saw of the challenge of Moneygall to advance to this year’s County U12B Football Final. A fantastic team performance saw them come from one behind at the break to win by eight.

It was to be the visitors who would start this game at pace. With only three minutes on the clock, Moyne Templetuohy sought the brave work of their goalkeeper Cormac Kiely to keep Moneygall out. Cathal Guilfoyle who was all over the field this evening, then decided to test the Moneygall defence, a darting run through their defence saw Cathal narrowly shoot wide. Moneygall worked hard though and they were eventually rewarded with a close range free to stretch their lead to two. With their tails up Moneygall attacked again, Liam Ryan and Danny Moore doing their upmost to keep them at bay but a mistake in the defence saw referee Ger Fitzpatrick award Moneygall a penalty which was neatly dispatched to the roof of the net, 1-02 to no score with only 8 minutes played. However this did not deter the Moyne Templetuohy spirit. Helen Cleere, David Doyle and Stephen Shaw worked tirelessly to supply ball to the forwards. There work was eventually rewarded when Diarmuid Campion using some of his soccer skills finished the ball to the roof of the net. Moyne Templetuohy now began to take control, Helen Cleere and Martin Cleere worked ferociously to supply quality ball and once again their efforts were rewarded when Diarmuid Campion pointed from close range to narrow the gap to one with half time almost upon us. They were still time though for some more action as David Doyle found himself hauled to the ground inside the  large rectangle. Penalty awarded, Diarmuid Campion stepped up only to be denied by the Moneygall goalkeeper. Half Time and the score read Moyne Templetuohy 1-01 Moneygall 1-02.

As per County Board regulations both teams made changes at the break.  It was to be once again the visitors who started strongest. A quickly taken free, saw them point to push the gap to two. Jake Bowe worked tirelessly all night and seven minutes into the second half, a low cross from Jake found its way to substitute Bill Brolan, who finished to the net. Game on. Moneygall responded instantly with a point levelling the game for the first time. Once again Moyne Templetuohy called on the assistance of their goalie Cormac Kiely who made a terrific save, with the assistance of Danny Moore at a vital stage of the contest. The resultant 45 was taken short and Moneygall found the back of the Moyne Templetuohy net. Cathal Guilfoyle with the assistance of Aaron McLoughlin pointed from 30 metres out to narrow the gap to two. Moments later Cathal Guilfoyle linked with Diarmuid Campion who made amends for his earlier penalty miss to extend their lead. Diarmuid was not finished yet and this time linked with Bill Brolan to extend the lead to 4-02 to 2-04 with three minutes remaining. Substitute Mark Fox worked hard and set up Diarmuid Campion for Moyne Templetuohys 3rd point of the game. With time almost up substitute Martin Cleere was next to raise a green flag when a high ball in from Bill Brolan found its way to the back of the net, thanks to the fingers of Cleere. The full time whistle sounded shortly afterwards to scenes of jubilation as they now qualify for the County Final. Final score read Moyne Templetuohy 5-03 Moneygall 2-04.

A tremendous team effort with all fifteen players adding something to this fantastic win. Liam Ryan, Diarmuid Campion, Cathal Guilfoyle and David Doyle shone but this was quite obvious a team victory. Their attention now turns to the County Final which will takes place on Monday night next in Boherlahan at 7pm where they will take on Ballylooby Castlegrace. We wish both players and management all the best.

Team: Cormac Kiely, Danny Moore, Liam Ryan, Stephen Shaw, Aaron McLoughlin, Helen Cleere, Jake Bowe, Cathal Guilfoyle, David Doyle, Martin Cleere, Diarmuid Campion, Bill Brolan, Mark Fox



County U14C Semi Final 

Moyne Templetuohy                 1-06

Fethard                                          5-13

By Mark Dunne

A windy Boherlahan was the venue for this year’s County U14C Semi Final where a strong second half display from a strong Fethard team saw them progress to this year’s CountyU14C Final at the expense of a gallant Moyne Templetuohy side.

The game began with both teams frantically searching for an early score with the Fethard midfield dominating in the air which eventually gave way for the opening score. Ciaran Llyod though worked hard from centre back and made a darting run up the field to draw the team’s level after 3 minutes of play. The game ebbed and flowed throughout the first with both teams working hard to find their scores. Moyne Templetuohy who played with the wind in the first half may rue a few missed chances but Cormac Deegan and Eanna Guilfoyle worked hard looking for scores and both were rewarded with Cormac Deegan winning a 21m free and Eanna Guilfoyle scoring a wonderful over the shoulder score to draw the teams level with 19minutes gone. The remaining five minutes were hard fought and a late point by the Fethard full forward saw the boys from the South go in a point to the good at half time.

The second half began with Fethard taking the initiative, with only one minute registered on the clock; they found the back of the Moyne Templetuohy net. However the Moyne boys responded well and were unlucky not to find the net themselves when Dylan McLoughlin made a darting run through the Fethard defence but the chance was snuffed out and Fethard went down the field to score their sixth point of the game. Moyne Templetuohy found it difficult to get any sort of momentum going forward and the sheer size and strength of the Fethard team made it difficult to get their hands on the ball. The South Champions then found some rhythm and scored some cracking goals despite the best efforts of Jamie Kiely in the Moyne Templetuohy goal. Despite this they fought hard and can be very proud of their efforts. After the final whistle had blown, disappointment was evident on their faces but they were clapped of the field by their family and supporters in thanks of a great year.

Despite their loss this U14 team have had an amazing year led by their coaches Tom Hassett, Theo Llyod, Tom Guilfoyle and Johnny Gleeson. They completed the double in the Mid Championship, winning both the U14C Hurling and Football Finals. They also went forward and won the County U14C Football Final earlier in the year. A fantastic bunch of players with a bright future ahead for them and we wish them well.

Team and scores: Jamie Kiely, Brian Campion, James Maher, Jimmy Gleeson, Ciaran Llyod (C) (1-01), Enda Ryan, Dylan McLoughlin, Aaron McLoughlin, Tomas Collier, Gavin Ryan (0-01), Martin Cleere, Cormac Deegan and Eanna Guilfoyle (0-02 frees, 0-02). Subs used: Patrick Collier for Martin Cleere, Jake Bowe for Jimmy Gleeson, Conor Duffe for Cormac Deegan, Bill Brolan for Tomas Collier, Diarmuid Campion for Brian Campion, Kian Dunne for Aaron McLoughlin and Conor O’Sullivan for Gavin Ryan

Referee: Richard O’Connor



Mid U14C Mid Final:

Moyne Templetuohy          2-11

Thurles Gaels                          2-06

By Mark Dunne

Moyne Templetuohy were crowned Mid U14C Hurling Champions on Saturday last to add to their U14C Football title which they won early in the year however it was not as easy as the score line may suggest. A spirited Thurles Gaels performance nearly saw them grasp victory in the last couple of minutes however it was not to be.

The game opened at a frantic pace with both teams looking to get an early grasp on the game. Thurles Gaels pressed hard in the opening minutes and were rewarded with a super score from corner forward Michael Anthony McCarthy to give Thurles Gaels an early lead. Moyne Templetuohy then pressed hard looking for their opening score but the Gaels defence stood strong and it took over 7minutes for the Moyne men to register their first score of the day, a 21m free from Éanna Guilfoyle. The game ebbed and flowed for the next few minutes with both teams trading scores and then a killer punch came from the stick of Eanna Guilfoyle, superb defending from Brian Campion saw him pass the ball to captain Ciaran Llyod who opted for route one. Eanna Guilfoyle then climbed the highest, turned his man and placed the ball in the roof of net, to give Moyne Templetuohy a 1-03 to 0-02 lead after 12 minutes. The next few minutes saw Moyne Templetuohy take a foothold in the game with the ever impressive Eanna Guilfoyle working hard in the full forward line but it was the Thurles Gaels men who would strike next. A long ball in from Jack Murphy was not dealt with it and the ball trickled in over the line to draw the team’s level with half time fast approaching. Eanna Guilfoyle then landed a killer blow right on the whistle of half time with a well worked goal to send them in two points up.

The opening to the second half began like the first, both teams working hard to find crucial scores. Thurles Gaels were first off the mark when a surging run by the ever impressive Jack Murphy drew a free with Callum Fogarty then reducing the gap to one point. The second half was all about work rate as both teams gave us an exhibition in hooking and blocking throughout the field. Thurles Gaels last score of the day was worth waiting for. A cross field ball into the dangerous zone was superbly doubled on by Daniel McCormack to give Thurles Gaels a slender lead with 5 minutes remaining. However Moyne Templetuohy seemed to step up a gear scoring five unanswered points in the last five minutes to secure Mid U14C Hurling Trophy for 2016. A fantastic opening game was had with both teams going at the game head first in search of glory. Gaels can be hugely proud of their effort with Jack Murphy, Michael Anthony McCarthy and Daniel McCormack giving an excellent account of themselves. Moyne now advance to the County Semi-Final and will look to the likes of Ciaran Llyod, Eanna Guilfoyle, Cormac Deegan and Brian Campion to repeat the impressive performances they showed today.

Teams and scorers:

Moyne Templetuohy:

Jamie Kiely, Brian Campion, James Maher, Tomás Collier, Enda Ryan, Ciaran Llyod (C), Jimmy Gleeson, Dylan McLoughlin (0-01), Aaron McLoughlin, Patrick Collier, Gavin Ryan (0-01), Conor O’Sullivan, Conor Duffe, Eanna Guilfoyle (0-01 free, 2-06), Cormac Deegan (0-02). Subs: Bill Brolan for Gavin Ryan, Martin Cleere for Tomás Collier, Kian Dunne for Patrick Collier.

Thurles Gaels:

Neil Holland, Keith Power, Tom Reilly, Peter McCarthy, Ben Buckley, Eoghan Cleary, Sam Ryan, Jack Murphy (1-00), Adam Daly, Shane Turner (0-01 free), Jack Keogh, Stephan Carroll (0-01), Michael Anthony McCarthy (0-01), Daniel McCormack (1-01), Callum Fogarty (0-01 free). Subs: Sean Keane for Dominic Ryan, Tommy O’Donoghue for Callum Fogarty, Dominic Ryan for Keith Power.

Referee: Tom Loughnane (Gortnahoe)


Mid U16B Football Final 23-4-15

Moyne Templetuohy       1-04

Loughmore Castleiney     1-11

Commiserations to our U16 Footballers who lost out to a strong Loughmore Castleiney team in the Mid U16B Football Final played in lovely conditions in Boherlahan on May 23rd.

The game started lively but it was the opposition who started the fastest and were 1-01 to no score up after 4 minutes of play. Moyne then settled down and were boosted by a terrific goal taken by Martin Ryan in which the ball was superbly worked from the heart of the defence in a fantastic display of hand passing. This gave our lads terrific confidence and this was further boosted by a Dean Lawlor run from corner back which resulted in a free, which Martin Ryan duly converted to level the game. The next few minutes of play were hard fought with Conor Ryan of Loughmore causing problems for the Moyne defence but the likes of Jack Taylor, Kieran Larkin and Darragh Taylor stood strong and made life difficult for the Loughmore forwards. The final four scores of the half though came from the boots of Loughmore men with Conor Ryan, Michael O’Connell and Ciaran Connolly putting Loughmore 4 ahead at the break.

The second half started at the same ferocious pace as the first with a point from Gearoid O’Connor narrowing the gap to three points. The next few phases of play were hard fought with strong physical challenges coming in from both sides. Martin Ryan then scored the next two points to close the gap to a single point however this was a close as we managed. Our forward lines tried hard for scores and were unfortunate not to tag on a few extra points but it was Loughmore who finished the stronger putting over 6 unanswered points. Even though they lost the match our lads can be very proud of their performance with the likes of Conor Bowe, Darragh Taylor, Jack Taylor, Dean Lawlor and Martin Ryan all putting in fantastic displays of football. Their attention can now turn to the hurling championship which will start towards the end of the month.

Team and scores:

Paddy Buckley, Paudie Gleeson, Darragh Taylor, Kieran Larkin, Ciaran Llyod, Jack Taylor, Shane Lowe, Conor Bowe, Sean Hayes, Bill Hogan, Andrew Doyle (Capt.), Gearoid O’Connor (0-01), Dean Lawlor, Martin Ryan (1-03), Ben Ryan. Subs used: Barry Ryan for Ben Ryan.

Referee: Andy Murray (Upperchurch Drombane)