Match Report: County Intermediate Hurling Championship Round 1

By Mark Dunne PRO

Moyne Templetuohy     3-20

Kilsheelan/Kilcash          1-17

Boherlahan provided the venue for Round 1 of the County Intermediate Hurling Championship where Moyne Templetuohy got off to a winning start with a 3-20 to 1-17 victory over a gallant Kilsheelan/Kilcash.

It would be the men from the South that would start the livelier and on their first attack called Moyne Templetuohy and Tipperary Goalkeeper Paul Maher into action, who pulled off a fine save from close range. Kilsheelan then went on to raise the first two white flags of the game and were two points to no score up after 2mins. Moyne Templetuohy then got going with Jason Bergin finishing to the net after a darting run through the Kilsheelan defence. Conor Bowe and Gearoid O’Connor (free) then added two more scores to see the Mid Men regain the lead inside the 10min mark. Donnacha Dunne was next to threaten the Kilsheelan goal but his effort was saved by Tadhg Lonergan. Both teams traded scores over the next quarter of an hour. Score of the half though came from the stick of Gearoid O’Connor where a superb individual effort saw him point from close range. Martin Kelly was next to cause upset to the South men’s defence where he scored 1-02 inside 5mins to give that much needed breathing space to the Moyne men. Both teams then traded scores to leave the half time score reading Moyne Templetuohy 2-14 Kilsheelan Kilcash 0-11.

The second half may have lacked the intensity and excitement of the first, but both teams worked hard in a tough half of hurling. Moyne Templetuohy though begun as they had ended the first half, Gearoid O’Connor pointed four placed balls to extend their lead to 13 with 15mins left to play. Kilsheelan though battled hard and refused to give up as they put pressure on the Moyne  Templetuohy defence. Despite this pressure Moyne Templetuohy grew more and more and the game was eventually killed of when Gearoid O’Connor rocked the back of the Kilsheelan net to send Moyne Templetuohy 3-18 to 0-12 in front with 13mins of hurling to be played. The game was hard hitting and in the 48th minute Conor Bowe suffered a nasty hand injury which forced him to retire from the contest. Kilsheelan though can be happy with how they finished the game out scoring Moyne Templetuohy 1-05 and 0-02 in the closing stages. However, Moyne Templetuohy took the spoils on the final whistle on a score line of 3-20 to 1-17.

Moyne Templetuohy will be very happy with the victory. They looked calm and composed in front of goal and with good performances from Conor Bowe, Gearoid O’Connor, Eoin Gorman and the Meade brothers, will give the management team food for thought over the coming weeks. Kilsheelan will rue the large number of wides they had but can be proud of how they finished the game. Moyne Templetuohy will now face Ballinahinch in round 2, but under new structures this game won’t be played until August at the earliest. Focus now though turns to the Senior Football Championship with the opening round vs Galtee Rovers is down for decision next Saturday at 6.30pm in Dundrum.

Team and scorers:  Paul Maher, Eoin Gorman, Liam Butler, Joe O’Grady, Tomas Hassett, Thossie Hamill, Pierce Meade (Capt.), Diarmuid Leahy, Tom Meade, Conor Bowe (0-06), Jason Bergin (1-02), Gearoid O’Connor (1-01 play, 0-08 free), Martin Kelly (1-02), John Hassett, Donnacha Dunne. Subs used: Diarmuid Fogarty for Diarmuid Leahy, Jack Taylor for Conor Bowe.

Referee: Padraig Skeffington (Cashel)