Match Report: County Senior Football Championship Round 1

Moyne Templetuohy                     2-12

Galtee Rovers/St Pecaun             0-13

By Mark Dunne PRO

Moyne Templetuohy’s return to the Senior ranks of Tipperary Football got off to winning ways with a hard fought five point victory over a determined and gallant Galtee side played under lights in New Inn.

This evenings proceedings begun with a minute silence for the late Martin O’Grady a stalwart of the Moyne Templetuohy Club. It would be the Mid men who would stride out of the blocks first. Points from John Hassett (one from play and one from a free) along with a Tom Meade score put Moyne Templetuohy 0-03 to 0-00 up inside the first five minutes.  Galtee then composed themselves scoring two of their own before Joh Hassett once again but two points between them at the mid way point of the half. Brian Kelly raised another white flag before Galtee fought back and put the minimal between them with 10mins of the half to play. Moyne Templetuohy relied on the free taking capability of John Hassett to keep them in front for the half, but the hard working Jason Bergin and Jack Taylor caused the Galtee defence problems. The Moyne Templetuohy defence at times looked stretched as Galtee opened the legs and ran at them and this could have proved more dangerous only for last gasp tackles to deny Galtee a green flag. Galtee got the final score of the half to leave the minimum between the sides at the break, 0-07 to 0-06.

Although Moyne Templetuohy would have been happy with their opening half efforts, Galtee regained control at the beginning of the second half to out score the Mid men 0-04 to 0-00 inside the first 10 points to put them three points to the good. Jason Bergin then reduced the gap to two, followed by a John Hassett free to once again put a kick of the ball between the sides. Conor Bowe, who was only introduced minutes before, raised the first green flag of the game to put Moyne Templetuohy two to the good, a good move by the Moyne Templetuohy management team. However, this did not phase the Galtee team and they responded well with three good points of their own to leave the score 1-09 to 0-13 with 10mins to go. The next phase of play proved crucial; Conor Bowe once again instrumental with a high ball into the Galtee square somehow found Moyne Templetuohy centre back Thossie Hamill who by some means managed to put the ball in the back of the net. 2-09 to 0-13. Game most definitely on. A hard working 10mins ensued with  Pierce Meade, Louis Everard, Joe O’Grady and Gearoid  O’Connor working hard to minimalize the Galtee threat. Moyne stood strong through and got the final three scores of the game, Conor Bowe, Gearoid O’Connor and John Hassett (free) all pointing to give Moyne Templetuohy a 2-12 to 0-13 point win.

Moyne Templetuohy will be more than pleased with the manner of the victory. A strong start to the second half by Galtee put pressure on the Moyne Templetuohy team to perform and perform they did. The depth of the panel was a most crucial aspect to the victory. Martin Kelly was solid in goals and his kickouts proved crucial for many attacks. Others who stood out included Tom Meade, John Hassett, Conor Bowe and Jason Bergin who fought for every ball. This victory gives them a much needed breathing space with remaining games against Arravale and Commercials to come when Championship resumes.

Team and scorers: Martin Kelly, Chris Lawlor, Pierce Meade, Joe O’Grady, Louis Everard, Thossie Hamill (1-00), David Lowe, Jason Bergin (0-01), Tomas Hassett (Captain), Jack Taylor, Tom Meade (0-01), Donnacha Dunne, Brian Kelly (0-01), John Hassett (0-06 free, 0-01 play), Diarmuid Fogarty. Subs used: Conor Bowe (1-01) for David Lowe, Diarmuid Leahy for Donnacha Dunne, Gearoid O’Connor (0-01) for Brian Kelly.

Galtee scorers: Colin Morrissey (0-01), Tony Egan (0-02 frees, 0-03 play), Ian O’Brien (0-01), Darren McGrath (0-02), Shane Egan (0-02), Daire Egan (0-01), Eric Grogan (0-01).

Referee: Derek O’Mahoney