Match Report Intermediate Preliminary Quarter Final 09/09/17

Moyne Templetuohy     0-20

Thurles Sarsfields            0-19

By Mark Dunne PRO

The narrowest of margins was all that separated these two Mid teams in today’s preliminary Quarter Final of the County Championship held in Gortnahoe. A repeat of the Mid Intermediate Semi Final, Moyne Templetuohy made amends and qualify for the County Intermediate Quarter Finals where they will play Moneygall next weekend.

Work rate and determination where the messages of the day and the fast start proved just that. Thossie Hamill who now found himself at centre forward opened the scoring followed by a Dee Fogarty free to put Moyne Templetuohy 0-02 to 0-00 up after 3mins of play. Sars hit back with a free of their own but Moyne Templetuohy aided by a strong breeze shoved out their lead to 0-05 with the pick of the scores Donnacha Dunne’s monster sideline puck. The teams then traded scores but Moyne Templetuohy who were very composed on the ball, scored five more from the sticks of Thossie Hamill (0-02), Tommy Hassett (0-02) and Dee Fogarty. Sars though did not give up and a mix up in the Moyne defence saw the ball ricochet out for a 65m, which was duly dispatched. The Meade brothers added two more long range scores and added to Donnacha Dunnes late point Moyne Templetuohy went in 0-13 to 0-05 ahead at the break.

The feeling at the break was one of uncertainty but Moyne Templetuohy had built up a considerable lead at the break. The first score of the half was crucial and it went the way of the blues who added four long range unanswered points to the narrow the gap to 4. Moyne Templetuohy did not panic though and with the outstanding Thossie Hamill at centre forward they won two frees and a further one scored by the nippy Dee Leahy pushed the lead to seven. John Coughlan, Joe Grady and Pierce Meade worked hard under the constant pressure of the long-range ball. An extra bite in their step was quite evident compared to the Mid Semi. Sars though pushed hard and a brace of points saw them come within a point of our lads with about 9mins remaining. The inside forward line of Dee Fogarty and Jason Bergin finally began to cause problems. Jason Bergin and Thossie Hamills fielding abilities helping Dee Fogarty slot over two crucial points with minutes remaining. Sars looked for leveller but it did not come. The final whistle brought a tense preliminary quarter final to an end with only the puck of the ball separating these two teams.

Moyne Templetuohy will look back at the game and be very proud of their efforts. The extra pep in their step was quite clear and many of our leaders stood up today when it mattered the most. However, nothing is won yet and further challenges remains as they face Moneygall next weekend in the County Quarters. Well done also to the management team as well.

Teams and scorers: Paul Maher, Joe Grady, John Coughlan, Eoin Ryan, Niall Russell, Pierce Meade, Louis Everard, Donnacha Dunne (0-02), Tomás Hassett (0-02), Jason Bergin, Thossie Hamill (0-04), Tom Meade (0-01), Dee Leahy (0-02). Dee Fogarty (0-07frees, 0-01 65m, 0-01), Mark Ryan Subs Used: Eoin Gorman for Eoin Ryan, Denis Kelly for Dee Leahy, Sean Maloney for Mark Ryan


Fergal Horgan (Knockavilla Kickhams)