Match Report: Roadstone Mid Intermediate Hurling Championship Final

Moyne Templetuohy     0-21

Gortnahoe Glengoole   0-19

By Mark Dunne PRO

Moyne Templetuohy bridged a 15 year gap on Saturday afternoon last where they claimed the Treacy cup their first since 2004, following a 0-21 to 0-19 win over Gortnahoe Glengoole in a windswept Littleton.

This game was in the melting pot right to the very end and could easily have swung in favour of the red and white only for Moyne Templetuohy’s Paul Maher to pull off a wonder save right on the 60th minute mark to deny Keane Hayes a chance of taking the spoils.

It was however, Gortnahoe Glengoole who started the brightest. Captain Ronan Teehan pointed a side-line followed quickly by scores from Keane Hayes and Fionn Cleary to send Gortnahoe three points to the good after only two minutes of play. Conor Bowe, son of manager Phil got the green and gold’s first score of the game following a pinpoint puck-out from Paul Maher. Keane Hayes tagged on the next two scores with the latter his first from placed balls. Moyne Templetuohy relied on man-of-the-match Gearoid O’Connor to keep them in touch as he pointed next from a free. Martin Barnaville was next to get in on the act before Jason Bergin and Gearoid O’Connor (65m & free) pointed to leave the minimum between the sides. Willie Brennan then worked hard to take the ball and score from close range to extend their lead to two before Ronan Teehan added a monster effort from the middle of the park to stretch the lead to three. Gortnahoe were hurling well at this point and the starved Moyne Templetuohy full forward line were finding hard to get going. Dee Fogarty tagged over the next score after intercepting Timmy Dunne’s puck out, to reduce the gap to two. Gortnahoes work rate in the first half was phenomenal, the swarmed in six’s and seven’s and made life difficult for Moyne Templetuohy. They tagged on the next four scores with the aid of the breeze from the sticks of Martin Barnaville, Fionn Cleary and two placed balls from Keane Hayes. Moyne responded with a free of their own from O’Connor following a dangerous attack. Then on the stroke of half time it was nearly disaster for Moyne Templetuohy. A Gortnahoe Glengoole attack saw the ball break dangerously to the oncoming Fionn Cleary who pulled on the ball and only for the quick reflexes of Paul Maher who pulled off a superb save. Hayes pointed following a free and the aforementioned Fionn Cleary got the last point of the game to see Gortnahoe take a 0-14 to 0-07 half time advantage.

Both sides emerged from the dressing rooms with intent to kick on. Gortnahoe got onto the scoreboard first following a Keane Hayes free from a tight angle. Moyne Templetuohy aided by the breeze began to work the ball through the lines and this allowed Dee Fogarty and Gearoid O’Connor to get the next two scores. The next phase of play saw Thossie Hamill win the Gortnahoe Glengoole puck out, a short ball to Jason Bergin saw him shoot from distance. Timmy Dunne in the Gortnahoe goal reached highest and plucked the ball from the sky only for the umpire to award the score with the ball having passed over the crossbar, a Brian Hoganesque incident! 0-10 to 0-15 the score. Both teams traded scores in the next few minutes all from placed balls. Conor Bowe had the best goal chance of the half when his shot whisked over the Gortnahoe crossbar. Moyne Templetuohy were now well in the game and denying Gortnahoe the space they had afforded them in the first half. Mark Ryan got his name on the scoreboard following a good piece of play which saw the ball moved directly from Pierce Meade to Jason Bergin to Mark Ryan who pointed. 0-15 to 0-17. Game on! O’Connor pointed to reduce the gap to one, but Hayes got one back. Jason Bergin swung back into the game with his third point and then came the leveller a monstrous effort from Conor Bowe from his own 65m sailed over the bar to level the sides. O’Connor sealed his man-of the-match award with a sublime side line ball to send his side into the lead for the first time in the game. Gortnahoe Glengoole were not finished yet and could have taken the lead; a strong Gortnahoe attack opened up the Moyne Templetuohy defence where Keane Hayes found himself all alone, the ball was popped neatly to Hayes where he opened the shoulders only for Paul Maher to pull of a heroic save in what was the changing of the game. Gortnahoe however, pointed from a free from Keane Hayes to bring the game level once again. Extra time looked to be looming. Injury time upon us a short side line puck saw O’Connor receive the return and scored over his shoulder to give Moyne Templetuohy a one point lead. 0-20 to 0-19 time almost up. The final play of the game saw Gearoid O’Connor fouled, he pointed the resultant free to give Moyne Templetuohy a 0-21 to 0-19 point win and claim back the Treacy Cup for the first time in 15years.

Mid Board Chairman Johnathan Cullen presented the Mid Intermediate Trophy to Moyne Templetuohy captain Pierce Meade. Also presented on the afternoon was the Man of the Match award picked up Moyne Templetuohy’s Gearoid O’Connor who finished the day with 0-12 points to his name!

Moyne Templetuohy will be happy with the manner of the tight win. Their first half performance was not up to scratch and they knew this. Good games from O’Connor, Butler, Pierce Meade and Jason Bergin was a positive, with Shane Lowe, Kieran Larkin, Mark Ryan and Jack Taylor all getting valuable game time. Attention returns to Senior Football relegation next Saturday where we face Killenaule in Phase 1 of the Relegation. This game is fixed for Cashel at 2pm. Support appreciated!

Moyne Templetuohy Team and scorers: Paul Maher, Eoin Gorman, Liam Butler, Joe Grady, Shane Lowe, Thossie Hamill, Pierce Meade (Captain), Donnacha Dunne, Jason Bergin (0-03), Diarmuid Fogarty (0-02), Gearoid O’Connor (0-11 frees, 0-01 play), Mark Ryan (0-01), Martin Kelly, John Hassett, Conor Bowe (0-03). Subs used: Damien Cantwell for Martin Kelly, Kieran Larkin for Donnacha Dunne and Jack Taylor for John Hassett.

Gortnahoe Glengoole Team and scorers: Timmy Dunne, Tommy Duggan, Davy Nolan (Joint Captain), Philly Purcell, Karl Campion, Martin Barnaville (0-02), Brian Maher, Fionn Cleary (0-03), Adrian Maher, Jack Moore, Ronan Teehan (Joint Captain)(0-03), Shay Butler, Willie Brennan (0-01), Colm Guilfoyle and Keane Hayes (0-07 frees, 0-03 play). Subs used: Karl Collin for Colm Guilfoyle, Johnny Guilfoyle for Willie Brennan.

Referee: Kevin Jordan (Thurles Gaels).

Treacy Cup