Mid U21 Final Match Report

Moyne Templetuohy             1-10

Upperchurch Drombane     4-07


On a cold, winter’s afternoon in Templetuohy, our U21’s lost out to an Upperchurch Drombane side keen on scoring goals in the Mid U21B Final.


Both teams found it difficult in the opening minutes to adjust to the miserable conditions under foot. A low scoring first half was on the cards and the half time score clearly reflected this. It was the opposition who were first out of the blocks with Brian Sheridan scoring the first of Upperchurch’s four goals. A free that dropped short was not dealt with in the square and it was the Upperchurch full forward who put the ball into the back of the Moyne Templetuohy net. The home team was finding it difficult to break down the Upperchurch defense with a handful of wides allowing Upperchurch to build up a 1-02 to 0-01 lead after 15 minutes of play. However in the 24th minute a Thossie Hamill run through the heart of the Upperchurch defense resulted in a low bouncing shot that ended up in the back of the Upperchurch net. This gave our lads a huge confidence boost and with Jamie Morrissey adding a free soon after the two teams were level at 1-02 apiece with 4 minutes of normal time remaining. A long range effort from Jack Butler gave the Upperchurch men a one point half time lead.


The second half began similar to the first, with both teams trying to readjust to the slippery conditions. Unfortunately it was the Upperchurch team who adjusted the quickest when a surging run from Loughlin Ryan ended up with another green flag for Upperchurch. Our lads replied well with two frees from Jamie Morrissey reducing the deficit to two points; however this was the closest we were going to get. Two more goals for Upperchurch resulted in a period where the home team was struggling to get the ball into the full forward line. Thossie Hamill and Jamie Morrissey kept us in touch with a handful of frees to leave the score after 20 minutes Moyne Templetuohy 1-09 Upperchurch Drombane 4-04. The last 10 minutes of the game were played in a frantic manner with the home team desperately seeking scores. Their cause was not helped when shortly before full time, referee Kevin Jordan showed Sean Maloney a straight red card for an off the ball incident. This made the difficult task even harder but their effort cannot be faulted. A brace of last minute frees gave the Upperchurch men a comfortable victory but the score line doesn’t reflect the game at hand. Final score read Moyne Templetuohy 1-10 Upperchurch Drombane 4-07. This team can be very proud of their efforts with great performances from Tossie Hamill, Robert Larkin and Eoin Gorman.


Moyne Templetuohy: Cathal O’Sullivan, Mark Ryan, David Lowe, Eoin Gorman, Brian Fanning, Robert Larkin, Eoin Ryan, Thossie Hamill (0-01 65m, 0-01 Free, 1-02) Diarmuid Leahy (0-01), Mikey O’Meara, Sean Maloney, Tom Maloney, Jamie Morrissey (0-04 Frees), Damien Cantwell and Chris Lawlor. Substitutes: Eddie Bourke for Tom Maloney.


Referee: Kevin Jordan (Thurles Gaels)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.