Match Reports


Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels        2-03

Upperchurch Drombane                               2-08

By Mark Dunne PRO

A bitterly cold the Ragg was the venue for the 2018 Mid Tipperary U21B Football Final, which saw Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels (MTTG) pitted against old rivals Upperchurch Drombane. A spirited second half effort was unfortunately not enough to see MTTG crowned U21 Champions.

Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels started brightly and looked to put down a real marker from the outset. Their running style of play sought to test the Upperchurch Drombane defence. However, it would be Upperchurch who would strike first, a long ball into Loughlin Ryan saw him turn and point to put the Church one point to the good after 5mins. In a similar worked move MTTG full forward Damien Cantwell found space and off his left slotted to draw the teams level 8mins in. MTTG were then dealt a huge blow when Conor Fahey raced through the defence despite the best efforts of Chris Lawlor, Paul Murphy and goalie Lee Tierney to net to leave the score 1-01 to 0-01. Conor Bowe arguably had the best chance of the half for goal, when his shot struck the crossbar and bounced out. The teams then traded scores to leave the half time score MTTG 0-02 Upperchurch Drombane 1-03.

Despite trailing at the break, this MTTG were not going to throw in the towel. Their fighting spirit was none more evident than in this second half. Upperchurch started strongly from the restart and knocked over two points in quick succession. A blow for MTTG, saw referee Tom McGrath point to the spot for a foul on the Upperchurch full forward, who neatly dispatched the penalty to the net. 2-05 to 0-02 after 34mins of play. MTTG refused to go away, the hard-working midfield pair of Jack Taylor and Diarmuid Leahy coupled with the ever-attacking Darren McGuire worked hard to orchestrate the attacks. They were finally rewarded when full forward Damien Cantwell played a ball back across the goals where he found Sean Hayes who got the bare touch to net. With their tails up MTTG attacked again and from a 45m Diarmuid Leahy found the net, 2-02 to 2-07 with 6mins of normal time remaining. Conor Bowe then scored from his right to leave 4 between the teams with clock reading 59mins. Despite their best efforts and numerous attacks MTTG could not find that goal they needed. Upperchurch would score once more to leave the final score MTTG 2-03 Upperchurch Drombane 2-08.

A spirited second half display proved their never die attitude. Daniel Shaughnessy, Diarmuid Leahy, Conor Bowe and Mark Ryan all played well to mention a few. The team and management can be proud of their football campaign for 2018 winning two games and reaching a Mid Final is a huge achievement in its self.

Team and scorers: Lee Tierney, Paul Murphy, Chris Lawlor, Daniel Shaughnessy, Mark Ryan, Eoin Gorman, Sean Maloney, Jack Taylor, Dee Leahy (1-00), Darren McGuire, Sean Hayes (1-00), Conor Bowe (0-01 free, 0-01), Gearoid O’Connor, Damien Cantwell (0-01) and Curtis Ryan.

Referee: Tom McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)



A strong first half display was enough to see Kilruane Mac Donaghs crowned County Champions

Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels:      1-03

Kilruane Mac Donaghs:                                 2-11

By Mark Dunne PRO

In a bitterly cold Dr. Morris Park a strong first half from opponents Kilruane Mac Donaghs saw them crowned County Minor B Football Champions for 2017.

From the throw-in Kilruane Mac Donaghs showed their intent as within 60 seconds a darting run saw Luke Dervan fouled and goalie Karl Williams obliged to send them into a one-point lead. Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels (MTT/TG) didn’t rest though, the strength and height of Joint-Captain Gearoid O’Connor brought MTT/TG back into the game. In a move that would happily grace Croke Park, a darting run from Conor Bowe who linked up beautifully with Ben Ryan saw MTT/TG register their first score after 4 minutes. However, the next ten minutes saw Kilruane Mac Donaghs grab a foothold in the game which would ultimately help them to victory. A Kilruane attack put the MTT/TG defence under pressure and despite the best efforts of Gearoid O’Connor and Darragh Taylor, Kylan O’Kelly found the net. From the resulting kick, out Kilruane recycled ball through their half-forward line when centre back Jerome Cahill made a darting run through the MTT/TG defence and finished neatly to the back of the net. MTT/TG refused to let this bother them. The following few minutes saw Sean Hayes, Conor Bowe and Shane Lowe come more into the game. Dylan Shaughnessy and Shane Lowe provided the basis for the MTT/TG attack and towards the end of the half Conor Bowe added two points to leave the score at half time, Moyne Templetuohy Thurles Gaels 0-03 Kilruane Mac Donaghs 2-07.

With an uphill battle facing them, Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels regrouped at the break. Despite their best efforts though Kilruane Mac Donaghs kicked on from where they left out at the break. Their use both on and off the ball helped them to find scores easier. In what was a low scoring second half Moyne Templetuohy Thurles Gaels worked hard. The immense shift put in by Shane Lowe as well as Gearoid O’Connor proved the teams belief and showed the teams never die attitude. Scores were far and few between with the cold conditions finally playing their part. MTT/TG had goal chances throughout but Kilruane and County U21 goalkeeper Karl Williams kept them at bay. However what Williams could do Barry Ryan could do better. On more than one occasion his services were called into action as he pulled of numerous saves to keep MTT/TG in the game. With time almost up, a Conor Bowe run and shot to goal was initially saved but fastest to the rebound was Sean Hayes who netted to leave the score reading MTT/TG 1-03 Kilruane Mac Donaghs 2-11 and that was how the game ended.

Immediate dejection and grief was evident however MTT/TG can be proud of their efforts. Shane Lowe, Barry Ryan, Darragh Taylor, Gearoid O’Connor and Conor Bowe all tried well in tough conditions. The 12-week break between the County Semi Final and Final may have had a bearing but to reach two County Finals in the one season is a fantastic achievement, one in which they can be very proud of. Our sincere thanks to the management team of Sean Everard, Pat O’Connor, John Sweeney, Pat Flanagan and Morgan Lanigan who have done tremendous work with this bunch of players throughout the year.

Team and scorers: Barry Ryan, Kieran Larkin, Darragh Taylor, Ciarán Llyod, Dylan Shaughnessy, Jack Taylor, Shane Lowe, Shane Ryan (JC), Gearoid O’Connor (JC), Chris Munroe, Sean Hayes (1-00), Dean Lawlor, Martin Ryan, Conor Bowe (0-01 Free, 0-01) and Ben Ryan (0-01). Subs used:Michael Mulcaire, Colin Shaughnessy, Bill Hogan, Jack Keogh, Paudie Gleeson and Jack Keogh.

Referee: Martin Doyle (Ardfinnan)



Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels        2-16

Drom-Inch                                                          0-15

By Mark Dunne PRO

As the saying goes, ‘goals win matches’ and today it was no different. Two second half goals first from the stick of Michael Mulcaire followed by Dean Lawlor saw Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels complete the double winning this years Mid Tipperary Minor B Hurling Championship.

Playing against a stiff breeze in the first half, Drom Inch played all the hurling racing in to an 0-05 to 0-02 lead after 10 mins. The superb accuracy of Man of the Match Gearoid O’Connor kept Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels in the game. The long high ball always looked threatening but the safe and secure hands of Conor Bowe, Ciaran Lloyd and Kieran Larkin kept Drom/Inch at bay. Indiscipline towards the end of the half, saw the opposition tag on crucial scores to leave three between the teams at the break 0-08 to 0-05.

A revitalised Moyne Templetuohy Thurles Gaels team took the field for the second half. Within 5 mins the team were level, Conor Bowe and Gearoid O’Connor (2 points) firing our lads right back into the action. Then the first of the goals. A long ball into the square broke kindly for Michael Mulcaire who slotted home to leave the scores 1-08 to 0-08 after 36mins. Drom however responded. Playing against the breeze they ran the ball cleverly up the field and won three frees on the trot to level the sides once again. However, Gearoid O’Connor tapped over the next two placed balls with Dean Lawlor adding another to widen the gap to three. The long ball had been causing Drom/Inch problems and Dean Lawlor gave them further headaches when a high ball wasn’t dealt with and he cleverly punished to the net to leave the score reading 2-11 to 0-11 with 8mins to go. As the game concluded the scores flowed from both sides with some top class points on display. The pick of the lot from Conor Bowe from inside his own half. The final scenes gave way to scenes of celebration and joy as Moyne Templetuohy Thurles Gaels completed Minor B double in style.

A man of the match display from Gearoid O’Connor coupled with the hard working Conor Bowe, Michael Mulcaire, Ciaran Llyod and Shane Lowe to mention a few, saw a deserving Moyne Templetuohy Thurles Gaels crowned Mid Champions for 2017. A sincere thanks to the hard working management team for making this possible, well done all.

Team and scorers: Martin Reilly, Paudie Gleeson, Kieran Larkin, Darragh Taylor, Ciaran Llyod, Conor Bowe (0-02), Shane Lowe, Sean Hayes, Jack Taylor, Chris Munroe, Gearoid O’Connor (0-08 frees, 0-01 65m, 0-03), Dean Lawlor (1-00), Michael Mulcaire (1-02), Shane Ryan, Ben Ryan. Subs Used:  Dylan Shaughnessy for Darragh Taylor, Bill Hogan for Ben Ryan, Dylan Molumby for Micheal Mulcaire


Tom Loughnane (Gortnahoe Glengoole)



Moyne Templetuohy     1-14

St Mary’s                             0-16

By Mark Dunne PRO

 A single point was all that separated these two teams following a ferocious battle in Cashel to give Moyne Templetuohy their first win in the County Intermediate Championship.

With both teams eyeing this fixture as a must win, it was no surprise that the game opened at the pace it did. Both teams vying for possession, Moyne Templetuohy through the stick of Diarmuid Leahy were first to get onto score board. A low ball into the corner saw Leahy rise, turn and score to get Moyne Templetuohy of the mark. Work rate was the order of the day and Moyne Templetuohy certainly brought this at times. Another high ball this time into full forward Denis Kelly saw his shot blocked and Dee Fogarty expertly put over the resulting 65. Wing back Pierce Meade was next to add to the scoreboard when he caught a high ball and scored from seventy plus metres out. Three points to no score after six minutes. Mary’s needed to wait until the 8th minute when free taker Sean Kennedy scored to settle them into the game. Further indiscipline from the Moyne Templetuohy defence saw Seamus Kennedy point to narrow the gap to one. Dee Fogarty got the next two and a superb long range point of his left for Donnacha Dunne saw Moyne Templetuohy push their lead to four points. However St Mary’s as expected fought back and scored the next two but what Mary’s can do Moyne Templetuohy can do better. Tom Meade and Diarmuid Leahy scored to leave the score board reading 0-08 to 0-04 with 10 minutes left in the half. Moyne Templetuohy now began to dominate, Liam Butler, John Coughlan and Thossie Hamill all hurling well and they were further rewarded when Dee Fogarty and Louis Everard pointed to give Moyne Templetuohy a six point lead with the break shortly approaching. A familiar foe crept back into the Moyne Templetuohy camp as further indiscipline saw Mary’s score three points before the break to reduce the gap to three. Dee Fogarty then pushed this out to four with a close range free. A tantalizing run through the Mary’s defence by Dee Fogarty saw him set up Leahy for what looked like a certain goal only for the Mary’s goalie to save. Half time followed with the score line reading Moyne Templetuohy 0-11 St. Mary’s 0-07.

The second half began with the same vigour and venom as the first. With only two minutes on the clock a long range free into Mary’s defence found its way to Mark Ryan who finish neatly to the net to give Moyne Templetuohy some breathing space. Mary’s though dug deep and with a changed approach saw them play long high balls into the Moyne Templetuohy defence. Some questionable frees allowed Mary’s back into the game. Things then began to heat up, the importance of the game now visible and following a side line scuffle a missed opportunity from Dee Fogarty would have pushed Moyne four points to the good, but a goal was all that separated the sides. Both teams worked extraordinarily hard to get scores but the stop start nature to the half made this difficult. Mary’s had now reduced the gap to two, but the ever hard working Dee Leahy scored from the distance to keep three points between the sides. With nerves nearly shot on the side line Mary’s worked hard and got to within one point of Moyne Templetuohy. With the game very much in the melting pot the many hours of hard training stood to the Moyne lads as they held on to claim a one point victory. Final score in Cashel Moyne Templetuohy 1-14 St Mary’s 0-16.

The importance of seeing out a tight game will most certainly stand to the lads going forward. A terrific team effort from number one to number fifteen saw them deservingly claim the two points on offer. Niall Russell, Thossie Hamill, Tom Meade, Mark Ryan and Dee Leahy all hurled well giving Moyne Templetuohy a good start to this year’s Intermediate Championship. However a familiar foe unfortunately began to creep back into their game. St Mary’s scoring nine of their sixteen points from placed ball will leave some worry in the minds of the management team but for now their attention turns to football as the Mid Intermediate Final looms.

Team and scorers: Paul Maher, Joe O’Grady, Liam Butler, John Coughlan, Niall Russell, Thossie Hamill (0-01 free), Pierce Meade (0-01), Louis Everard (0-01) (C), Donnacha Dunne (0-01), Mark Ryan (1-00), Tom Meade (0-02), Dee Fogarty (0-02 frees, 0-02 65m, 0-01), Tomás Hassett, Denis Kelly, Dee Leahy (0-03). Subs used: John Hassett for Denis Kelly, Sean Maloney for Mark Ryan and Jason Bergin for Tomás Hassett

Referee: TP O’Sullivan



Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels       1-09

Boherlahan Dualla                                           2-04

By Mark Dunne PRO

Holycross was the venue for this eagerly anticipated Mid Tipperary Minor B Football Final between Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels and Boherlahan Dualla with spectators thoroughly earning their entry fee.

This game opened at a ferocious pace, the wet conditions were going to make life difficult for all and this was evident from the off. Boherlahan however sought every opportunity in the opening minutes but were not able to convert and by the 4th minute had three wides registered. Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels defence were now under severe pressure, Boherlahan running game was causing problems and by the 6th minute had their first score on the board. That said Moyne Gaels eventually settled and a free from the 45m line dropped short only for the Boherlahan goalie to foul it and Conor Bowe to point on his second attempt. Minutes later the services of Conor Bowe were to be called on again as he pointed his second to put Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels into the lead with 15 minutes of football played. A point up and not playing exceptionally well Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels found themselves two to the good when up stepped Gearoid O’Connor and pointed from distance. Their heads now firmly up, they were soon dealt a devastating blow when the inform Cian Bargary netted to put Boherlahan a point up with 10minutes to play. Next to point was Conor Bowe and the game was now delicately poised at 1-01 to 0-04. Kick outs remained a problem from minute one to minute sixty, and Moyne were punished in the 23rd minute with another good score from Cian Bargary. Sean Hayes, Shane Lowe and Dean Lawlor were all playing well and it was to be the latter that would set up Conor Bowe for a wonder point with half time almost upon us. However there was time for one more attack and Moyne were punished for failing to deal with the runner, this time James Kirby putting Boherlahan one point to the good just as referee Tom McGrath blew the half time whistle. The scoreboard in Holycross read Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels 0-05 Boherlahan Dualla 1-03.

Hunger and commitment was the clear message from the management team as Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels took to the field for a vital 30 minutes of football. A tremendous start was on the cards as from the throw in Martin Ryan received a lovely pass only to shoot narrowly wide. Boherlahan were next to try for a score but their similarly drifted away to the left and wide. With 33minutes gone on the clock a decisive moment occurred, Boherlahan poised to score their second goal only to be denied the bravery of Darragh Taylor. A refurbished team had taken the field for the second half. Both teams then traded scores and in the 6th minute Conor Bowe drew Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels level. A moment of class then occurred when a quick thinking Gearoid O’Connor placed the ball neatly in front of Bowe who pointed of his right to send his team one point up. The game began to heat up both on the field and off as the hunger in both sets of players was now evident. The next score was to be crucial and it was Conor Bowe who would grab the bull by the horns and send Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels two points to the good.  With the tide now singing in Moyne’s favour, referee Tom McGrath then awarded Martin Ryan a penalty when he was hauled to the ground by the Boherlahan goalie. However Jack Riordan redeemed himself with not one but two terrific saves to deny Conor Bowe the opportunity to further the lead. Moments later in similar circumstances Boherlahan Dualla were awarded a penalty. What John Riordan can do Barry Ryan can do better as he pulled a vital safe to protect his teams slender lead. With the game still very much balanced Sean Hayes on a darting run scored his sides’ only goal, 1-09 to 0-04 with10 minutes left to play. However Boherlahan responded with a goal of their own to bring the game back to two points. With the game now fairly hot every free was to be crucial. Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels were determined to see this through and that is what they did. Substitute Micheál Mulcaire, Shane Ryan, Sean Hayes and Shane Lowe hassled every ball. With time up Conor Bowe was awarded late free that went narrowly wide but this didn’t matter as moments later referee Tom McGrath blew the full time whistle. Final score now read Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels 1-09 Boherlahan Dualla 2-04

A fantastic finish to a wonderful game of football. This game could easily have gone either way but it was hunger and determination that saw Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels crowned Mid Tipperary Minor B Football Champions for 2017. Joint Captains Gearoid O’Connor and Shane Ryan happily accepted the trophy from fellow Moyne Templetuohy Joe Kennedy. A special word of mention though must go to the management team of Sean Everard, Morgan Lanigan, John Sweeney, Pat O’Connor, Pat Flanagan and first aider Philomena McNamara who made all this possible.

Team and scorers: Barry Ryan, Kieran Larkin, Darragh Taylor, Ciarán Llyod, Dean Lawlor, Shane Lowe, Dylan Shaughnessy, Shane Ryan, Gearoid O’Connor (0-01), Chris Munroe, Sean Hayes (1-00), Ben Ryan, Martin Ryan, Conor Bowe (0-04 frees, 0-04), Jack Taylor. Subs used: Micheál Mulcaire for Jack Taylor (40mins).

Referee: Tom McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)




Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels       7-06

Upperchurch Drombane                               2-09

By Mark Dunne PRO

A brace of first half goals saw Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels advance to this year’s Mid Tipperary Minor B Football Final at the expense of a determined Upperchurch Drombane on a dull evening in Drombane.

Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels began the strongest; within the opening three minutes they found themselves 1-01 to 0-00 up, Sean Hayes (1-00) and Martin Ryan (0-01) on target for the visitors. Three minutes later and Conor Bowe from what appeared to be a miskick found the roof of the net to extend the lead to seven. Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels were now playing with a sense of freedom, their defence sniffing out any Upperchurch attack with Kieran Larkin and Shane Lowe to the fore. Upperchurch though had chances and a superb run from Eanna Ryan nearly saw him find the back of the Moyne net but his shot went narrowly wide. It took until the 17th minute for the home team to find their first score with the scoreboard now reading 2-03 to 0-01. Martin Ryan was next to raise a green flag with a superb finish to the roof of the net, 3-03 to 0-01. Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels eye for goal did not end there, a fantastic move starting with Kieran Larkin and ending with Conor Bowe saw yet again another green flag raised. Upperchurch Drombane though rallied back and scored 1-01 before the break to leave the score at half time, Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels 4-06 Upperchurch Drombane 1-02.

The second half begun with Upperchurch Drombane dominating play, three scores without reply saw them gain a foothold in the game. Their quick running game lead to difficulty for the Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels defence but a quick counter-attack in the 37th minute saw Micheál Mulcaire get his team’s 5th goal. This however would be their final score until the 61st minute. A hugely dominant second half saw Upperchurch Drombane come storming back into the game. A narrowly missed goal opportunity soon after could have turned the tide of the game but the Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels defence stood strong. Relentless pressure though eventually saw Upperchurch get their second goal and reduce the deficit to 8 points with less than 10 minutes remaining. That gap was further reduced to 6 until Gearoid O’Connor on a superb individual run finished the ball expertly into the corner of the net, 6-06 to 2-09 the scoreboard read. With time almost up referee Tom McGrath then awarded Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels a late penalty which Conor Bowe duly converted. The full time whistle soon followed to leave the scoreboard reading Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels 7-06 Upperchurch Drombane 2-09.

Goals most certainly win the matches however the Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels players can be very proud of their performance. A difficult second half saw them face attack after attack but they held out. Their attention now turns to the Mid Final which takes place this Friday night against Boherlahan in a venue yet to be confirmed. We wish players and mentors all the best on their quest for glory.

Team and scorers: Barry Ryan, Kieran Larkin, Darragh Taylor, Ciaran Llyod, Dean Lawlor (0-01),Shane Lowe, Dylan O’Shaughnessy, Shane Ryan, Gearoid O’Connor (1-00), Chris Munroe, Sean Hayes (1-00), Ben Ryan, Martin Ryan (2-01),Conor Bowe (C) (3-03), Micheál Mulcaire (1-00). Subs used: Bill Hogan for Dean Lawlor, Jack Keogh for Micheál Mulcaire, Colin O’Shaughnessy for Martin Ryan and Patrick Kiely for Ben Ryan.


Tom McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)



Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels       2-07

Drom/Inch                                                          2-11

By Mark Dunne PRO

Round 4 of the Mid Tipperary Minor B Football Championship pitted Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels against Drom/Inch on a wonderful spring evening in Kickham Park Thurles. Onlookers were treated to a tense game of football where either team could easily have secured victory. However it was to be Drom/Inch that would come away victors.

Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels began the strongest, with only one minute on the clock Ben Ryan had found the back of the Drom/Inch goal. Moyne Gaels now had their tail up and sought every opportunity to run at the Drom/Inch defence. However Drom stood strong and it would only be in the 6th minute that Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels added another score from the booth of Micheál Mulcaire, 1-01 to 0-01 the scoreboard read. The next few minutes saw Drom/Inch gain a foothold in the game, their short hand passing game caused some difficulty for the Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels defence, with Drom kicking scores from all angles. A killer punch came however in the 25th minute, a strong counter attack from Drom/Inch saw them neatly dispatch the ball low into the corner of Paddy Buckley’s goal, 1-05 to 1-03, Drom now in the lead. Yet Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels never gave up and responded well with scores from Jack Taylor and Gearoid O’Connor to leave the minimum between them at the break, all very much to play for.

The second half began similar to the first, with only one minute on the clock; Sean Hayes had raised a white flag to draw the teams level. Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels had now upped the work rate. Shane Lowe and Jack Taylor anchored the half back line and turned countless balls over. Dean Lawlor was next to find the posts with a wonderful kick from outside the 21m line. The aforementioned pressure finally paid off when a Drom/Inch counter-attack was broken down, the ball was quickly moved up the field where it found Sean Hayes and from a tight angle placed the ball in the back of the Drom/Inch goal, 2-07 to 1-08, Moyne in front. Every ball was now crucial and a huge effort from both sets of players went in. With ten minutes to go, Drom struck their second goal to lead by one. Two minutes later the Drom/Inch full-forward was brought to the ground by Darragh Taylor and the resultant penalty went narrowly wide. With eight minutes remaining the game was certainly in the balance, but Drom/Inch outscored Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels 0-04 to 0-00 in the final six minutes to give them a 2-11 to 2-07 victory.

Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels can hold their heads high. A tremendous performance was had by all with Darragh Taylor, Jack Taylor, Sean Hayes and Gearoid O’Connor all performing splendidly. Their attention now turns to Upperchurch Drombane next Thursday in a must win game.

Team and scorers: Paddy Buckley, Bill Hogan, Darragh Taylor, Barry Ryan, Shane Lowe, Jack Taylor (0-01), Kieran Larkin, Sean Hayes (1-01), Shane Ryan, Dean Lawlor (0-01), Gearoid O’Connor (0-02), Chris Munroe, Micheál Mulcaire (0-02 frees), Andrew Doyle and Ben Ryan (1-00). Subs used: Dylan O’Shaughnessy for Bill Hogan, Martin Ryan for Andrew Doyle, Ciaran Llyod for Barry Ryan.


Liam Shanahan (Upperchurch Drombane)



Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels 4-09

Boherlahan Dualla                                  1-08

By Mark Dunne PRO

 On a bitterly cold February evening in Templetuohy, Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels goal scoring abilities did enough to see them safely through to the next round of the Mid U21B Football Championship.

In a fairly one-sided opening half Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels found the net on three occasions to give them a comfortable half time score for what would be a closer second half of football. With only three minutes gone on the clock, a high ball into the Boherlahan Dualla full-back line saw it expertly knocked down into the path of Eoin Gorman who finished nicely to the roof of the net. Curtis Ryan, Conor Bowe and the aforementioned Eoin Gorman all added scores to give the home team a 1-03 to 0-01 lead after 11 minutes. Disaster then struck for the Boherlahan Dualla keeper as a high ball from Gearoid O’Connor found its way to the back of the net to give Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels a 2-03 to 0-01 lead. Boherlahan tried hard but the midfield pairing of Eoin Gorman and Gearoid O’Connor aided by centre back David Lowe prevented any Boherlahan attack materialising. A point from Jack Taylor and two from Conor Bowe saw Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gales extend their lead to 2-06 to 0-01 before Eoin Gorman found the back of the net for the second time. Jack Taylor added one more before the break to leave the score board reading at half time Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels 3-07 Boherlahan Dualla 0-02.

A revitalised Boherlahan team took to the field for the second half. With seven minutes played Boherlahan onslaught paid off when they found the back of Lee Tierney goal. Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gales responded well with a point from the boot of Conor Bowe. However Boherlahan never gave up and dug deep to score some good points to narrow the gap even further. Eoin Gorman, Paul Murphy and Conor Bowe worked hard in the poor conditions but Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gales goal scoring prowess once again came to the fore as a strong run from Conor Bowe saw him neatly lay of the ball to half time sub Cian Gleeson who finished the ball to the back of the Boherlahan net. Jamie Hackett then scored for the last point of the game to give Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gales a 4-09 to 1-08 win.

This win will now give the lads confidence as they await their next opponents. Conor Bowes ability to run with the ball will give any teams defence worries, this coupled with the scoring ability of Curtis Ryan, Jack Taylor and Eoin Gorman means that on their day Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gales can be a real danger to any opponent.

Team and scorers: Lee Tierney, Darragh Taylor, Paul Murphy, Daniel O’Shaughnessy, Sean Moloney, David Lowe, Shane Ryan, Eoin Gorman (2-01), Gearoid O’Connor (1-00),  Conor Bowe (0-04), Curtis Ryan (0-01), Mark Ryan, Chris Lawlor, Jamie Hackett (0-01) and Jack Taylor (0-02). Subs used: Colin O’Shaughnessy for Mark Ryan, Peter McNamara for Daniel O’Shaughnessy, Cian Gleeson (1-00) for Jack Taylor and Colin O’Shaughnessy for Darragh Taylor.

Referee: Michael Heffernan (Moycarkey Borris)



Moyne Templetuohy 2-04

Boherlahan Dualla     2-07

By Mark Dunne PRO

Drombane was the venue for this years Mid Tipperary Junior B Football Final where Moyne Templetuohy came up short in a close encounter on Sunday morning last.

Moyne Templetuohy opened the brightest; aided by the breeze they looked dangerous with their opening attacks all resulting on shots on the Boherlahan goals; however it took until the 5th minute for their first score to be registered from the boot of Denis Kelly. Moyne Templetuohy were then dealt a huge blow when wing forward Tomás Egan went off with a shoulder injury. Minutes later, Moyne Templetuohy goalie Richie Foley pulled of a super save and with the resultant counter attack Jason Bergin found the roof of the Boherlahan net to put them 1-01 to 0-00 in front after 12minutes. Boherlahan fought back with Mark Phelan giving them their first score after 13minutes. Moyne then found the front foot again, this time Denis Kelly finding the net after a super pass by Tony Cantwell. Boherlahan then found a bit of rhythm scoring the next three points with Denis Kelly clawing one back from a free. Boherlahan got the last score of the half thanks to the boot of Mark Phelan to leave the score 2-02 to 0-05 points at the break.

When play resumed after the break Boherlahan took the initiative with full forward Lawrence Hickey getting the visitors to within two points of Moyne with 2 minutes gone. The second half did not produce much in the way of scores but the work rate of both teams was evident throughout. Conditions didn’t help proceedings as both teams found it difficult to come to grips with the slippery conditions and as result the free count was quite high for both sides. However eight minutes from time and with the score delicately poised at 2-04 to 0-06, Boherlahan found the back of the Moyne Templetuohy net despite another fantastic save by Richie Foley. Boherlahan now with their tails up searched desperately for an equalising score. Referee Michael Heffernan then awarded Boherlahan a free 45m out, free taker Mark Phelan stepped up and the resultant free dropped short but it was a Boherlahan man who reacted the quickest getting a crucial touch to send the ball into the back of the Moyne Templetuohy net. With time almost up Moyne Templetuohy searched desperately for scores but they just never came. A few wayward passes added with the difficult conditions made scores hard to get. Then with time up Boherlahan wing forward Colm O’Dwyer got the insurance score which saw Boherlahan Dualla crowned Mid Tipperary Junior B Football Champions for 2016. Despite a heart-breaking loss Moyne Templetuohy can be very proud of their football efforts for 2016. A Minor Football Final, an Intermediate County Semi-Final and Mid Junior Final goes to show what advances have been made in football this year. Huge thanks must go to Kieran Healy, Tom Hassett, Tom Guilfoyle and William Maher who have put in Trojan effort this year with regards to football. The future most certainly is very bright for our footballers and we look forward to 2017 already.

Team and scores: Richie Foley, Brian Fanning, Cathal Ely, Mark Ryan, Sean Maloney, Ronan Ely, Eoin Gorman, Jason Bergin (1-00), Eoin Ryan, Tom Egan, Tony Cantwell, James Moloney, Chris Lawlor, Denis Kelly (1-01, 0-03 frees) and Mark Kelly. Subs: Aidan Kelly for Tom Egan, Padraig Costigan for Mark Kelly, Enda Everard for Aidan Kelly and John Butler for Chris Lawlor.

Referee: Michael Heffernan (Moycarkey Borris)



Moyne Templetuohy 1-18

Knockavilla Kickhams 3-12

By Mark Dunne PRO

 Round two of the County Senior Hurling Relegation ended in stalemate as Moyne Templetuohy looked for their first victory of the relegation campaign.

Moyne Templetuohy opened in the best fashion possible; referee Paddy Ivors had only thrown the ball in, when Martin Kelly had the ball placed in the back of the Kickhams net. John Hassett then added a point from distance to push the lead to four points with 3 minutes played. Kickhams required the stick of David Butler to get them on the scoreboard but it was the men of Moyne Templetuohy who would dominate the next few minutes. Diarmuid Fogarty, Martin Kelly and Tom Meade all added scores to give Moyne Templetuohy a six point lead after 10minutes. Moyne Templetuohy though can thank their goalkeeper Paul Maher who pulled off two terrific saves in the opening minutes. Knockavilla stayed plugging away however and were rewarded as in the 23rd minute a long ball into the Moyne Templetuohy square was not dealt with and corner forward David Butler tapped home from close range to leave the score reading 1-08 to 1-05 with 6minutes left on the clock. The remaining minutes of the game saw both teams’ trade scores and at half time the scoreboard read Moyne Templetuohy 1-11 Knockavilla Kickhams 1-09.

Knockavilla came out in search for the first score of the half and were rewarded. A long ball into the Moyne Templetuohy square was caught by full forward Jerry Hogan who was subsequently fouled by Robert Larkin. The ensuing penalty was neatly dispatched to put Knockavilla a point to the good with 32minutes played. Tom Meade and Diarmuid Fogarty both saw their shots sail between the posts to give Moyne Templetuohy the lead with 35minutes played.  Knockavilla stayed in touch though and once again a mistake in the Moyne Templetuohy defence saw Ger Browne capitalise to give Knockavilla a 3-10 to 1-14 lead. Shortly after though, Knockavilla were handed a devastating blow when full back Eoin Carew saw the line for a second bookable offence. The remaining minutes of the half saw Moyne Templetuohy desperately searching for a winning score but it never came. Moyne Templetuohy though must be disappointed as a brace of chances in the dying minutes all fell short. This result now leaves Moyne Templetuohy on one point with their final game against Moneygall a must win game. Positives though can be taken as Martin Kelly, Thossie Hamill and Robert Larkin all worked hard in what was a tough physical game. Their attention now turns to Moneygall in a couple of weeks’ time as next week is designated to the Football Intermediate Semi Final against Fethard.

Team and scores: Paul Maher, Conor Quinlan, Robert Larkin, Louis Everard, Tom Hassett, Pierce Meade, Niall Russell, Jack Fogarty, Thossie Hamill (0-02), Jason Bergin, John Hassett (0-01), Tom Meade (0-02), Dee Fogarty (0-02), John Coughlan (0-01), Martin Kelly (0-08 Frees, 0-01 65m, 1-01). Subs used: Eoin Ryan for John Coughlan, John Coughlan for Jason Bergin, Eoghan Franks for Jack Fogarty and Diarmuid Leahy for John Hassett.

Referee: Paddy Ivors



Moyne Templetuohy     0-15

Silvermines                        0-19

By Mark Dunne PRO

 Round 1 of the County Senior Hurling Relegation ended in disappointment for the men of Moyne Templetuohy as they suffered a four point defeat to Silvermines in Clonoulty on Saturday afternoon last.

Moyne Templetuohy began with a spring in their step; only two minutes in Thossie Hamill collected a high ball from midfield laid it out expertly to Captain Diarmuid Fogarty who struck for the first score of the game. The mines responded well though with midfielder Orrie Quirke slotting over for their first point of the match. This set the tone for the half with both teams looking for that vital score to edge them ahead. Thossie Hamill and Pierce Meade lead from the back showing real leadership when it mattered most. However a familiar foe soon haunted the Moyne Templetuohy team as a brace of frees brought Silvermines right back into game thanks to the accurate free taking of Jason Forde. With the half coming to a close the teams were level but a strong finish from the Moyne men with both Tom Meade and Martin Kelly shooting from distance gave Moyne Templetuohy a two point lead at the interval.

Silvermines came out after half time all guns blazing scoring a brace of scores to put them one to the good after 4 minutes of play. Martin Kelly then settled things once again for the Moyne men with a stunning score of his left to draw the team’s levels. Tempers then began to fray with hard challenges coming in from both sides but the luck of the green did not go with the Moyne Templetuohy men as they seemed to suffer the wrath of the referee more than the men from the Mines. A strong last quarter from Silvermines saw them put extra scores on the board which Moyne Templetuohy struggled to get back. A frantic end to the game saw Moyne Templetuohy down three points with minutes to play desperately searching for that goal to draw them level however Silvermines stood strong and sub Andrew Hayden put over the insurance score to give Silvermines their first win of the relegation series. Moyne Templetuohy now turn their attention to Knockavilla Kickhams in their next game. Positives though can be taken from the loss, a strong performance from Thossie Hamill, Robert Larkin and the Meade twins gave Moyne Templetuohy a basis to work on. Diarmuid Fogarty and Martin Kelly tried hard up front to get scores but at times it was not to be.

The belief and desire though from these players to remain a senior club is quite evident and they will give it all that they have to maintain this status.

Team and scorers: Paul Maher, Conor Quinlan, Robert Larkin, Louis Everard, Tom Hassett, Pierce Meade, Niall Russell, Thossie Hamill (0-01), Diarmuid Fogarty (0-01), Jack Fogarty, Martin Kelly (0-04, 0-04 frees, 0-01 sideline), Tom Meade (0-02), John Coughlan, Liam Butler, John Hassett (0-01). Subs used: Jason Bergin (0-01) for Jack Fogarty, Donnacha Dunne for Liam Butler, Eoghan Franks for Donnacha Dunne, Eoin Ryan for John Hassett.



Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels 2-05

Upperchurch Drombane                       2-08

By Mark Dunne

Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels first involvement in a Mid Tipperary Final as a new amalgamated team results in a three point defeat to Upperchurch Drombane on Friday evening last in a sunny Holycross.

Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels got off to a wonder start, no sooner had referee Tom McGrath thrown in the ball, when Curtis Ryan took off and landed the ball in the Upperchurch net giving the Moyne men a one goal lead inside 90 seconds. Endjis Mickelsons in the Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels net was called into an early save when Upperchurch full forward Conor Fahy struck for goal but Mickelsons got the barest of touches to tap it over the bar. Upperchurch pressed hard and caused problems for the Moyne Templetuohy defence, who gave way a number of frees which brought the teams level after 15minutes of play. Mark Ryan and Paul Murphy worked hard to minimise the Upperchurch pressure but in 22nd minute a kick out that was not dealt with saw a well worked Upperchurch move result in their first goal of the game. However Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels pressed hard with Conor Bowe, Curtis Ryan and Chris Munroe looking for scores however found it difficult to raise a white flag. The final few minutes of the half saw Upperchurch stretch their lead to three points but Moyne Gaels fought back with Curtis Ryan and Conor Bowe both scoring to reduce the gap to two points at the break with the score reading Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels 1-02 Upperchurch Drombane 1-04.

Upperchurch Drombane began the second half scoring two unanswered points, the first a free from midfielder TJ Butler and the second a wonderful from full forward Conor Fahy. Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels responded well from the boot of Conor Bowe, who soloed through the Upperchurch defence and slotted over to reduce the gap to three points. Chris Munroe kept the momentum going scoring a fantastic point of his left to reduce the score to two with 15minutes remaining. Upperchurch always looked dangerous however particularly on the counter attack, where the pace of Dean Carey and Pakie Bourke caused a lot of problems for Paul Murphy and his defence.  Conor Bowe though stood up and reduced the gap to one with a free 40 metres out. With gap now at one, the game was in the melting pot but a couple of easy turn overs saw Upperchurch attack at pace and they were rewarded with a 13m free with 5 minutes to go. TJ Butler happily converted to push the gap to two. Disaster struck in the 27th minute, a kick out which was easily lost saw Upperchurch centre forward Paki Ryan strike low to put five between the teams. All looked over for Moyne Gaels but they never gave up and were rewarded when Damian Cantwell toe poked the ball into the Upperchurch net after a long free was not dealt with. Two points remained between the teams but a late Upperchurch free in the 30th minute saw them push the gap to three and with time up also saw them crowned Minor B Football Champions for 2016.

Despite a three point defeat Moyne Templetuohy/Thurles Gaels can be very proud of their efforts. A few missed opportunities could have seen the game finish closer but that’s sport. Mark Ryan, Conor Bowe, Paul Murphy and Dylan Shaughnessy all played well and we wish them and their teammates all the best when they take on Drom/Inch in the Minor B Hurling Semi Final next week.

Team and scores: Endjis Mickelsons, Darragh Taylor, Paul Murphy (C), Shane Ryan, Dylan Shaughnessy, Mark Ryan, Jack Taylor, Curtis Ryan (1-00, 0-01 free), Gearoid  O’Connor, Damien Cantwell (1-00), Chris Munroe (0-01), Sean Hayes, Conor Bowe (0-02, 0-01 free), Jamie Morrissey,  Jamie Hackett. Subs used: Sean Hayes for Dean Lawlor, Paddy Dunican for Jamie Hackett

Referee: Tom McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)



Cahill Cup Quarter Final:

Moyne Templetuohy     1-15

Holycross Ballycahill      2-21

 Moyne Templetuohys interest in the Cahill Cup came to an end on Sunday afternoon last after a nine point defeat at the hands of Holycross Ballycahill in a warm Templetuohy.

Moyne Templetuohy opened the livelier with Jamie Morrissey, Niall Russell, Denis Kelly and Tom Meade all getting on the score sheet to send the home team 4 points to 1 up after 8 minutes of play. Holycross though found their feet and two minutes later had the score board level, with scores from Jamie Woods and two from full forward Donnacha Duggan keeping the visitors very much in the game. On the 17th minute mark Holycross Ballycahill were rewarded for their persistence when a dropping ball into the Moyne Templetuohy was not dealt with and the Holycross Ballycahill corner forward slotted home to put them 1 point up with 10 minutes left in the half. The final few minutes were hard fought with both teams searching for scores that were difficult to find. Indiscipline let the home team down and only added pressure to their full-back line that had their hands full as it was. Moyne Templetuohy though ended the half with a superb individual point by John Coghlan who had a lot to do after winning the ball to send the teams to the dressing room with the scores reading Moyne Templetuohy 0-08 Holycross Ballycahill 1-07.

After the restart though Holycross Ballycahill regained their footing. Once again Moyne Templetuohys discipline let them down with the first two points of the half coming from placed balls. Tomás Hassett though got the home team up and running again with a free 45 metres out and a 65 shortly afterwards to leave just a goal between the teams. A goal was what was needed and it came 9 minutes in, when a long range free dropped into Holycross Ballycahill square and Moyne Templetuohys full forward John Coghlan found the ball and shot low into the corner to level the game. Holycross Ballycahill needed to respond and in the next attack Kieran O’Dwyer surged through the Moyne Templetuohy defence to finish low into the corner of the net. This gave the Cross men great confidence and the surged on scoring the next three scores to put more pressure on the Moyne Templetuohy team. Holycross Ballycahill’s dominance though was evident as the home team went a whole eight minutes at one stage without registering a score and only managed two thereafter. Holycross finished the game comfortably and even though the score line does not make for pretty reading a lot of positives can be noted from the game. The ability of John Coghlan to win high balls at the edge of the square is a real asset and when used can cause huge upsets to any opposition. However for any team to concede 21 frees in a game and for the opposition to score 10 of them makes for winning games extremely difficult.

Their attention now turns to the huge relegation battle that faces them. The belief and desire from the players to remain a senior club is quite evident and they will give it all that they have to maintain this status.

Team and scores:

Paul Maher, Joe O’Grady, Conor Quinlan, Louis Everard, Pierce Meade, Robert Larkin (0-01), Tom Hassett (0-01, 0-01 free, 0-01 65m), Tom Meade (0-01), Dee Fogarty (0-02), Denis Kelly (0-01), Niall Russell (0-01), Donnacha Dunne, Eoin Ryan (0-01), John Coghlan (1-02), Jamie Morrissey (0-01 free). Subs used: Jack Fogarty for Denis Kelly, Mark Ryan for Dee Fogarty, Denis Kelly for Jamie Morrissey, Dee Fogarty for Jack Fogarty.


Kevin Jordan (Thurles Gaels)



Mid Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship

Moyne Templetuohy     1-18

Drom/Inch                          3-28

Moyne Templetuohys run in the Mid Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship came to an end following a comprehensive loss to Drom/Inch in a warm and sunny Templemore yesterday evening.

Drom/Inch were quicker out of the blocks with Paul Kennedy, Johnny Ryan and Tommy Nolan putting the Drom boys 3 points to no score up after 5mins of play. The next 10 minutes saw Moyne Templetuohy battle back to draw the game level with fifteen minutes of hurling played. The warm conditions though did not help the game with numerous water breaks needed to keep the players hydrated. However Drom/Inch regained the upper hand after a long range effort fell short into the waiting hands of Callanan who placed the ball into back of the net. Martin Kelly pointed a free shortly after to keep the Moyne Templetuohy scoreboard ticking over. However the accuracy of the Moyne Templetuohy forwards left a lot to be desired as a range of scoreable points failed to hit the target. Those misses where costly as David Butler got the better of the Moyne Templetuohy defence to hit home Drom/Inch’s second goal of the day. With the end of the half drawing near, Moyne Templetuohy finished strongly with scores from Diarmuid Leahy, Tom Meade and a side-line cut from Martin Kelly to leave the half time score reading Moyne Templetuohy 0-09 Drom/Inch 2-12.

The second half began similar to the first. Drom/Inch scored 1-03 without reply in a spell where the Moyne Templetuohy players struggled to gain a foothold in the game. First half substitute Eoin Ryan opened their account after 7minutes of play. The next few minutes saw Moyne Templetuohy regain their foothold in the game. A Tossie Hamill goal which bounced in over the head of the Drom goalie Damien Young gave a new lease of life to a tiring team. Tom Meade added to the goal with a superb point of his left. The next few minutes of the game saw Drom step it up the gear and they found themselves scoring with ease as they added to the scoreboard with the clock ticking down. The game however was over as a contest and it was just a matter of the final whistle to conclude proceedings. Even though the final score read Moyne Templetuohy 1-18 Drom/Inch 3-28, it does not truly reflect the effort shown. Although the better team won out, an improved second half performance showed that the Moyne Templetuohy belief and commitment remains.

In a game where Moyne Templetuohy where without the services of Liam Butler, Niall Russell and John Hassett, a few positives can be noted. Robert Larkin, Tomas Hamill and Tom Meade all had excellent games but some wayward shooting cost Moyne Templetuohy valuable scores and if this game had been tighter could have been extremely costly. Their attention now turns to the Cahill Cup Quarter Final which takes place in Templetuohy on Saturday evening next at 7.30pm where they take on Holycross Ballycahill.

Teams and scores:

Paul Maher, Conor Quinlan, Robert Larkin, Louis Everard, Pierce Meade, Tossie Hamill(1-00), Tomás Hassett, Tom Meade (0-05), Diarmuid Fogarty, Donnacha Dunne, Jason Bergin, Diarmuid Leahy (0-01), Murty Kelly (0-08 frees, 0-01), John Coghlan (0-01) and Jamie Morrissey (0-01). Subs: Eoin Ryan (0-01) for Pierce Meade)


Michael Heffernan (Moycarkey Borris)




County Senior Hurling Championship Round 1

Moyne Templetuohy 1-21

Burgess                        3-15

Moyne Templetuohy fought back to secure a late draw in the first round of the County Senior Hurling Championship played out in a wet and cold Toomevara field on Saturday evening last.

Moyne Templetuohy began the first half in the worst possible manner as the Burgess inside forward line were  on target putting their team 1-03 to 0-01 in front after 7 minutes of play, with the goal coming from a surging run through the defence. However Moyne  Templetuohy fought back with scores from Jason Bergin (2), Diarmuid Fogarty and Tomás Hassett to put just a goal between the sides with a little under 13 minutes left in the half. John Coghlan worked hard in the half forward line breaking down puck-outs but our ability to win the breaking left a lot to be desired. Moyne Templetuohy were now well in the game with scores from Diarmuid Fogarty and Tomás Hassett keeping us in touch. A mix up in the Moyne Templetuohy defence however let the Burgess full forward, Brian Hogan straight through on goal and he finished neatly to the top corner, pushing the Burgess lead to 6 points as half time quickly approached. Moyne Templetuohy’s work rate however could not be faulted as the likes of Jamie Morrissey, Tomás Hamill and John Coghlan worked hard to keep them in the game.

The second half began much better than the first when a poor puck-out by the Burgess goalkeeper Niall McGrath allowed Diarmuid Fogarty to capitalise and bury the ball in the back of the net. However a soft penalty was awarded to Burgess as Robert Larkin was adjudged to of fouled Stephen Murray much to the annoyance and disbelief of the Moyne Templetuohy support. The penalty was carefully dispatched but this seemed to spur on the Moyne Templetuohy players and the next few scores coming from the stick of Jason Bergin, Tomás Hamill and Martin Kelly to draw us level with 10 minutes remaining. The last few minutes of the game were frantic with both sides trading scores, but it seemed that Burgess were to take points as they went 2 points up with 3 minutes left to play. This did not deter the Moyne Templetuohy spirit as two late frees were duly converted from the calm and composed stick of Jason Bergin to earn Moyne Templetuohy a well deserved draw.

A lot of positives can be taken from the game with the likes of Tomás Hamill, Tomás Hassett and John Coghlan all standing up and showing real leadership when the game got tight. Jamie Morrissey and Diarmuid Leahy who are both still minors proved a real asset with their quick pace. This leaves us in a good position heading into our second game against Holycross in two weeks  time.

Moyne Templetuohy: Paul Maher, Diarmuid Leahy, Robert Larkin, Louis Everard, Pierce Meade, Liam Butler, Niall Russell, Tomás Hamill (0-01 free), Tomás Hassett (0-05), John Coghlan, Jack Fogarty  (0-01), Tom Meade, Diarmuid Fogarty (1-02), Jason Bergin (0-10 frees), Jamie Morrissey. Subs used: Martin Kelly (0-02) for Jack Fogarty, Eoin Ryan for Jamie Morrissey.

Referee: John Cleary

Mid U21B Hurling Final

Moyne Templetuohy             1-10

Upperchurch Drombane 4-07

On a cold, winter’s afternoon in Templetuohy, our U21’s lost out to an Upperchurch Drombane side keen on scoring goals in the Mid U21B Final.

Both teams found it difficult in the opening minutes to adjust to the miserable conditions under foot. A low scoring first half was on the cards and the half time score clearly reflected this. It was the opposition who were first out of the blocks with Brian Sheridan scoring the first of Upperchurch’s four goals. A free that dropped short was not dealt with in the square and it was the Upperchurch full forward who put the ball into the back of the Moyne Templetuohy net. The home team was finding it difficult to break down the Upperchurch defense with a handful of wides allowing Upperchurch to build up a 1-02 to 0-01 lead after 15 minutes of play. However in the 24th minute a Thossie Hamill run through the heart of the Upperchurch defense resulted in a low bouncing shot that ended up in the back of the Upperchurch net. This gave our lads a huge confidence boost and with Jamie Morrissey adding a free soon after the two teams were level at 1-02 apiece with 4 minutes of normal time remaining. A long range effort from Jack Butler gave the Upperchurch men a one point half time lead.

The second half began similar to the first, with both teams trying to readjust to the slippery conditions. Unfortunately it was the Upperchurch team who adjusted the quickest when a surging run from Loughlin Ryan ended up with another green flag for Upperchurch. Our lads replied well with two frees from Jamie Morrissey reducing the deficit to two points; however this was the closest we were going to get. Two more goals for Upperchurch resulted in a period where the home team was struggling to get the ball into the full forward line. Thossie Hamill and Jamie Morrissey kept us in touch with a handful of frees to leave the score after 20 minutes Moyne Templetuohy 1-09 Upperchurch Drombane 4-04. The last 10 minutes of the game were played in a frantic manner with the home team desperately seeking scores. Their cause was not helped when shortly before full time, referee Kevin Jordan showed Sean Maloney a straight red card for an off the ball incident. This made the difficult task even harder but their effort cannot be faulted. A brace of last minute frees gave the Upperchurch men a comfortable victory but the score line doesn’t reflect the game at hand. Final score read Moyne Templetuohy 1-10 Upperchurch Drombane 4-07. This team can be very proud of their efforts with great performances from Tossie Hamill, Robert Larkin and Eoin Gorman.

Moyne Templetuohy: Cathal O’Sullivan, Mark Ryan, David Lowe, Eoin Gorman, Brian Fanning, Robert Larkin, Eoin Ryan, Thossie Hamill (0-01 65m, 0-01 Free, 1-02) Diarmuid Leahy (0-01), Mikey O’Meara, Sean Maloney, Tom Maloney, Jamie Morrissey (0-04 Frees), Damien Cantwell and Chris Lawlor. Substitutes: Eddie Bourke for Tom Maloney.

Referee: Kevin Jordan (Thurles Gaels)


Moyne Templetuohy 0:20

Carrick Swans              0:20

Our senior hurlers opened their Clean Ireland Recycling County Senior Hurling Championship “Roinn 2” first game today with a highly entertaining draw against Carrick Swans in Boherlahan.

The away team started brightly with two quick scores by Danny O’Hanlon and Stephen Hahessy to race into a two point lead within the first five minutes. However we responded quite well to their open scores, working hard and winning the next three frees which Jason Bergin duly converted to put us a point up after ten minutes of play. Carrick Swans Damien McCarthy then scored a long rage effort to level the sides. Both teams then traded scores with Jason Bergin and Tossie Hamill slotting over long range frees. The game was hard fought with many a hard challenge going in from both sides, making it a very high tempo game. Moyne worked hard for their scores with six of their first half points coming from placed balls. After twenty-two minutes of play Moyne lead seven points to five with two huge scores coming from Dee Fogarty and Hugh Coghlan. However Carrick Swans got the upper hand in the closing stages of the first half and scored four unanswered points to go nine seven in front. A Jason Bergin free at end of the first half meant we trailed by the narrowest of margins at the break.

The second half started at a ferocious pace with both teams trading scores and this set the tone for the half. Substitute Diarmuid Leahy scored a fantastic point in what was a well worked move and could easily have resulted in Moyne Templetuohy goal. However our discipline in the second half cost us quite a few scores with Carrick Swans last four scores coming from placed balls. We worked hard though and pulled off some great points but score of the match came from Hugh Coghlan who scored a mammoth point from our own 65 metre line. This gave our lads huge confidence but unfortunately a last minute free by Carrick Swans Dwayne Fogarty levelled matters and referee Sean Bradshaw soon blew the full time whistle. Moyne Templetuohy can take a lot of positives from this game though with only 6 wide balls and some great performances by Tossie Hamill, Robert Larkin, Hugh Coghlan and Tom Meade. Next up on the cards for Moyne Templetuohy will be Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams with a time and venue yet to be decided.

Moyne Templetuohy: Paul Maher, Pierce Meade, John Coghlan, Conor Quinlan, Tossie Hamill (0-02 Frees, 0-01), Liam Butler, Niall Rusell, Tom Meade (0-02), Robert Larkin (0-01), Diarmuid Fogarty (0-01), Hugh Coghlan (0-03), Tomás Hassett (0-02), Martin Kelly, Jason Bergin(0-07 Frees), John Hasset Capt. Subs: (38mins) Diarmuid Leahy (0-01) for Martin Kelly, (41mins) James Maloney for John Coghlan.

Referee: Sean Bradshaw (Knockavilla Kickhams)



Mid Tipperary Junior Hurling League Division 1

Moyne Templetuohy             1-15

Loughmore Castleiney          1-14

Moyne Templetuohy began their Mid Tipp Junior Hurling League Division 1 campaign with a fine victory over near rivals Loughmore Castleiney on a fabulous evening in Templetuohy on Monday last.

It was the opposition who were fastest out of the blocks on what was a very warm Bank Holiday Monday as they lead 1-02 to no score after 5 minutes of play, with the goal coming from James Connolly. Donnacha Dunne then got the Moyne Templetuohy team on the score board with a fine score from a tight angle. Colm Everard and Eoghan Franks added two more scores to have us trailing by two after 15 minutes. Indiscipline from both sides allowed Eoghan Franks and Shane Hennessy of Loughmore to add more scores from placed balls to have the score reading Moyne Templetuohy 0-07 Loughmore Castleiney 1-09 after 28 minutes of play. Diarmuid Leahy then scored two points in quick succession to have us only a goal down at the break.

The second half began with both teams trading scores to have only the bare goal separating the sides. Then the pivotal moment came for the Moyne Templetuohy side when a long ball in on top of Eoghan Franks resulted in a goal after a superb catch and turn by Eoghan. With the sides now level, every score was crucial and discipline would play a huge part in the outcome of the game. Loughmore responded well to conceding the goal with a free from the clinical Shane Hennessy splitting the posts. Scores from substitutes Jack Fogarty and a free from Eoghan Franks put Moyne Templetuohy in the lead for the first time. Once more the teams traded scores but it would be substitute Jack Fogarty who would pop up with the winning point to secure the win by the narrowest of margins.

Moyne Templetuohy: Joe Leahy, Jerry Maher, Cathal Ely, Eoin Gorman, James Maloney, Colm Everard (0-01, 65m), James Butler, Ronan Ely, David Lowe, Brian Kelly (0-01), Joe O’Grady, Sean Maloney, Diarmuid Leahy (0-02), Eoghan Franks (0-07 Frees, 0-02), Donnacha Dunne (0-01). Subs: (37mins) Jack Fogarty (0-02) for David Lowe, (37mins) Cathal O’Loughlin for Brian Kelly, (44mins) Tony Cantwell for Diarmuid Leahy, (47mins) Paul Quinlan for Sean Maloney and (50mins) Chris Lawlor for Eoin Gorman.

Referee: Kevin Jordon (Thurles Gaels)